Working from home - March, 2020
Hello Year 3,
We have heard some of you are having a few difficulties with Doodle Spell. If you are finding it too easy/tricky please let us know via our stay in touch email (email@example.com) and we will recalibrate your account for you which should help!
There are lots of other fun ways to learn your spellings too! Have you tried...
- Writing your spellings outside using chalk
- Rainbow spellings - write them out using different coloured pens
- Create a rhyme or a rap to help you remember a tricky word
- Make a crossword or a wordsearch
- Use plastic magnetic shapes or even alphabetti spaghetti to learn those words
- Playing some games :
Year 3 Spelling Words
Year 1 and 2 Common Exception Words (Make sure you know these too!)
Year 3 Maths Home Learning
Please see the maths website above for regular maths learning.
You will find a short video tutorial where a skill will be taught or revised and then a practise sheet to apply the skill (answers also supplied).
We look forward to hearing how you are getting on!
Remember to update us with any news on our year group email: firstname.lastname@example.org
26th March 2020
We have assigned extra tasks to your Doodle: Maths, English and Spelling accounts. These will update weekly and will be focused on revising your Year 3 learning. Keep up all your hard work and keep an eye out for Mrs Raymond sharing some Doodle achievements tomorrow!
Year 3 – Working at home March 2020
Here is an example timetable to help structure your day and keep a positive routine. We hope this helps!
Once a day:
- Doodle (6-a-day and extras)
- Times tables
Key Year 3 Skills to keep practising:
- Column addition and subtraction http://www.snappymaths.com/year3/y3addsub/y3addsub2.htm
- Column multiplication http://www.snappymaths.com/year3/y3multdiv/y3multdiv2.htm, https://www.math-salamanders.com/multiplication-printable-worksheets.html
- Telling the time http://www.snappymaths.com/other/measuring/time/time.htm
- Year 3 SPAG skills https://teachmykids.co.uk/worksheets/yr3/english-yr3/grammar-yr3, https://www.bhjs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/18-05-15-Year-3-SPAG-test.pdf
- Write some sentences using conjunctions (coordinating and subordinating), adjectives and adverbs. Find a picture that inspires you here: http://www.pobble365.com/ or https://www.onceuponapicture.co.uk/
- Video lessons to help with key skills: https://learn.khanacademy.org/khan-academy-kids/, https://www.khanacademy.org/khan-for-educators/khan-kids-page
Things to do on my own:
- Times table games - https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
- Learn something new! http://wonderopolis.org/
- Write a story and illustrate it
- Create a comic strip
- Online learning games - https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/7-11-years/ordering-and-sequencing-numbers
- Learn a new hobby
- Year 3 learning – Twinkl website is free for a month using the code UKTWINKLHELPS - https://www.twinkl.co.uk/ (Focus on conjunctions, using speech, column method, telling the time, money, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division) https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/zbr9wmn
- Learn a new language!
Pencil and paper:
- Squares game
- Hangman – use the Year 3 spellings!
- Origami – https://www.easypeasyandfun.com/easy-origami-for-kids/
- Noughts and crosses
- Create your own board game
- Arts hub - https://www.youtube.com/user/ArtforKidsHub
- Draw a picture
- Sketch something in your garden or in your house
- Make a collage
- Start some sewing or knitting!
- Crafts - https://babbledabbledo.com/15-cheap-easy-crafts-for-kids/, https://babbledabbledo.com/category/art-for-kids/
- Make a trailer for a book/film
- Engineering for kids - https://babbledabbledo.com/category/engineering-for-kids-2/
- Design for kids - https://babbledabbledo.com/category/design-for-kids/
In the kitchen:
- Make breakfast, lunch or help your family make dinner!
- Practise your measuring skills using measuring jugs and water.
- Bake a cake!
- Science in the kitchen - https://babbledabbledo.com/category/science-for-kids/, https://www.thoughtco.com/kitchen-science-experiments-for-kids-604169
- Cooking - https://www.sitters.co.uk/blog/15-fun-cooking-activities-for-kids.aspx
- Colouring - https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resources/indoor-play-activities/wet-play-colouring-sheets/wet-play-colouring-sheets-mindfulness-colouring
- Use the trick box tricks you have learnt so far!
- Guided relaxation -https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8snGkhBF7njO0QvtE97AJFL3xZYQSGh5
- Mindfulness activities - https://www.teachstarter.com/gb/blog/classroom-mindfulness-activities-for-children-gb/
In the garden:
- Do some gardening – grow your own vegetables and flowers, dig up some weeds! https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/10-gardening-projects-for-kids/, https://kidsgardening.org/garden-activities/, https://kidsgardening.org/
- Go on a nature trail - https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2019/07/nature-trail-ideas/
- Create your own home workout – get your family involved!
- Joe Wick workout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7CX0_7sLTA
- Yoga - https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga/playlists
- Create an ongoing diary about what you do whilst you’re at home!
- Research the stone age and make a stone age house
- Research your family history
- Create a poster for a country – what facts can you find out?