Easter egg fitness treasure hunt
Your kids are expecting an Easter egg hunt, but are they expecting one that will keep them moving after every discovery? This fun twist on the average egg hunt will help keep them active.
Check out this link for more ideas and to get clues emailed to you!
Energetic Easter game
Try this Easter-themed way to get everyone moving and you might just have as much fun as the kids.
How to Play It: It’s essentially Three Flies Up, except the thrower can decide a catch is worth a certain amount. The winner is the person who exceeds a previously decided jackpot number (i.e. “Game is to 1,000”). More fun can be added by the thrower yelling one of the following terms: Jackpot (automatic win); Bomb (receiver who touches ball loses a designed number of points); Bankrupt (lose all points); IceBall (stay frozen for one throw); FireBall (steal one point from opponent).
How to Play It: Designate two bases (could be real bases, shoes, or pretty much anything you have around) and choose two throwers. Everyone else is a runner. Throwers toss the ball back and forth and the runners try to get safely from base to base without getting tagged. If you’re the last one alive, you win. Pegging is optional.
3. Red Light, Green Light
How to Play It: One person is the traffic cop. All remaining players stand on the starting line and the traffic cop has their back to them. When the traffic cop says “green light,” players try to run to the finish line. When the traffic cop says “red light,” they turn around and the other players have to stop. First to pass the finish line wins and becomes the traffic cop.
4. The Floor Is Lava
How to Play It: Do whatever you can to not touch the floor, which is now lava. Hop on chairs, couches, benches, logs, or whatever. Try to get from Point A to Point B. Don’t touch the floor/ground, which is lava.
Why not challenge yourself and create your own circuit session in your garden!
Indoor Physical Activities for Kids
Dance Party for Indoor Physical Activity
Just turn on some music and let the kids jump, wiggle, and dance their little hearts out.
If dancing is new to them, they may need a little help getting started.
Improvised Indoor Games for Kids
If you’re looking for fun indoor physical activities for kids, all you need to do is think back to your own childhood. For example, running lines. Or hopscotch. Or obstacle courses. You can do this stuff in your house. You may not have as much space as a school gym.
Indoor Physical Activities with Lines of Tape
- Use painter’s tape to make lines on your floor. See which of your kids can jump to the furthest line. Then hop from line to line on one foot. Next, have them try jumping backward. And so on. Encourage them to come up with their own games.
- Create hopscotch squares with painter’s tape on the floor and play.
- Walk a line of painter’s tape heel to toe as if it was a balance beam and see how far your kids can walk.
- Create an obstacle course in your hallway with tape going from wall to wall. Kids can climb over the tape or through it depending on the setup. And see who can get through without knocking it all down.Yarn also works well for creating an obstacle course.
Indoor Physical Activities with Balloons
- Have your kids race from one end of the room to the other holding a balloon between their knees.
- Hit a balloon or a beach ball up in the air and see how long you can keep hitting it back and forth without letting it hit the ground.
Assign Chores that Make Kids Move
You can make it fun by playing some music or making a game or contest out of housework tasks. I’ve had some luck with giving everyone a bucket and seeing which of us can pick up the most toys the fastest.
Story time doesn’t have to be just a bedtime ritual. Pick a book that has a word that’s often repeated. For example, choose the word “hat” if you’re reading The Cat in the Hat. Every time the word comes up in the story, get your kid to do a jumping jack.
Use a pencil to write down a yoga move on each JENGA block. Set up the tower and play the game as usual, but every time a block is pulled out, every player has to do the specific yoga move. If the tower falls, do the plank for 30 seconds.